Wednesday, October 7, 2026

random thoughts – Day 2,395 (Wednesday 10/7) – progress

Delivery!
Every Wednesday, it’s the same thought – “holy crap, it’s Wednesday already!” Today was no different in that regard.    

As I was finishing dressing, fresh and clean from the shower, a loud truck noise outside caught my attention. It was different than the Monday trash truck sounds and the daily oil delivery and parcel delivery trucks that pass through the neighborhood.

It was the long-awaited lumber company flatbed truck, loaded with the materials for my siding job. Unlike the partial order of incorrect color siding delivered in May, this delivery is boxes and boxes of materials, all labeled with the correct color and some unboxed pieces that are definitely the right color. The contractor is due here Thursday morning. Progress, at last.

The morning was spent enjoying the warmth pushed from the furnace that I caved and turned on last night when I saw the temperature was expected to drop to the mid- to low- thirties. It was nice to wake up not freezing. Then time was invested in reprogramming the thermostat a few degrees lower.

After that, it was back to the drawing board. I was plotting and planning a stained glass piece like it’s my job, and maybe in a way, it is my job now. Much of the design sketched on Monday was redrawn and expanded on Tuesday, and was changed even more today. Some straight lines were changed to curves. Lines were extended into the edging element to break up some of the straight runs. Then there was a leap to commitment with black Sharpie lines drawn over the pencil lines. It will be much harder to backtrack now. I may color it with pencils, which I've done on larger pieces in the past.

Next up is glass selection. The funny part is, the design started out specifically for a piece of pink, white, blue opal glass bought on Tuesday along with three sheets of coordinating clear colored glass. Once the drawing was underway, the piece expanded in size and the design grew from one central element to three and now the single sheet of opal glass won’t be enough. I can either go to the glass shop Thursday and get another sheet or two of the same glass, or totally change the glass scheme. We’ll see how it shakes out. 

While drawing the current design, I got an idea for another design and it might become a situation of endless designing and not getting around to executing. So many mysteries still to unfold, but it feels like progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment