Sunday, November 22, 2020

“Remoted” Day 251 (Sunday)

Lazy Sundays are the best. Moose was up at 5:30 barking to go out, and after that we went back to bed and slept until 7:45! It was crazy! When the dogs were out in the front yard, Winston escaped again. I spotted him on the ridge of the embankment to Beaver Brook. His red and gray sweater helped. He heard me call his named and even paused to turn towards me. Then he turned to resume his walkabout. In my fleece pajamas and purple fuzzy bathrobe and hyper conscious of the outfit and being seen outside while wearing it, I walked over to the hill to get Winston to go home. The air was crisp, but my burning embarrassment over being outside in pajamas and bathrobe helped keep me warm.

Winston the wanderer finally headed towards the house, but instead of going to the gate where I was waiting to let him into the yard, he revealed a second escape portal, a space between the fence post and the corner of the house, just wide enough for him to walk his scrawny and clever self through. Evidently, the flower bed edging restricted access all summer long, but a week or two ago it was pulled up and stored for the winter, clearing the way for clear egress.

There was the usual coffee and morning sofa time with the boys. There was an eye exam scheduled for 1:00, postponed from last Saturday to last Sunday, then from last Sunday until today. After seeing the new Massachusetts and New Hampshire restrictions and quarantine guidelines, going to the eye doctor located in Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua seemed like a less great idea. It also seemed like I should have made an actual effort to go last weekend instead of avoiding it. The appointment was delayed again, this time to December 5. It’s unfortunate that I pay extra for vision coverage with my health plan each year and then half the time I don’t even get the routine exam that is covered by the plan.

In other things not done, no artwork was hung (again). No laundry was done, but there is still enough clean underwear in the drawer for the week and time before bed if I suddenly become energetic. No food was cooked to speed meals up during the week, but there is still soup left from a kettle made the other day that will get me through Monday.

Less crispy apple crisp.
In the tasks done column, an apple crisp was baked. After cutting off the bruised and gouged parts of the apples that were in the battered produce that arrived Wednesday, the apple measure was a bit light, so I added sliced frozen strawberries. Sadly, even though it is the recipe I use all the time, it just didn’t come out as good as usual. The “crisp” part isn’t crisp enough, and it’s the best part, so it feels like a failure. 

Genealogy research was done, which is fun and mostly involved skim reading entire old newspapers after finding one relevant family-related story. It was a nice way to spend a chilly afternoon, with a dog sleeping on each side of me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment