Wednesday, March 18, 2020

"Remoted" - Day Two

Day Two of time and life in the combined live-work space started a bit rough. The neighbors across the street seem to have been on holiday for the past few days, with cars and people coming and going more than usual. They do not seem to have heard about the recommended distancing and isolation, and instead, have opened their own version of a blended Grand Central Station, Mardi Gras frat party. They were up late yelling and making noise at their house last night, which, unfortunately, prevented sleep at my house (and likely several others). At least the neighborhood is quiet during the day, probably because the noisy, obnoxious people are catching up on their sleep.

Luckily, working from home meant the ability to sleep a bit later and still do all the usual morning stuff like coffee prep and dog feeding, watering and medicating. Dressing for the day is more like a Saturday than an outside the house office day (meaning easier and faster). Even after the usual daily check of personal email and online Scrabble, logging in for work was still a few minutes ahead of at the normal, at the office work start time. 

Lessons from Remote Day Two:
  1. I must really love the water dispenser at work-work because I visit it maybe a dozen times a day. At home-work, it's not even a thought, even though it’s the same distance from the dining room table/desk to the kitchen as my office desk to the water dispenser. There is a better than remote chance I may expire from dehydration during this remote work period.
  2. It’s easier producing work from home than I thought, and not as isolating as I feared. People on my team and I have all been in touch, and keep projects moving. It will still be nice to be back in the office, though.
  3. My home office colleagues can be annoying. Moose barks at me most of the day. I moved his bed near the table/desk so when he isn’t barking at me, he is either staring at me or sleeping and snoring. At least the snoring is quieter than the barking. Winston has spent the past two days on the couch, earning him the title “Lord of the Living Room.” He makes random cameo appearances in the dining room/office.
  4. Remote work lunch is the same food I would bring to the office, but home lunch can easily be plated much prettier than office lunch eaten from a microwave container.
  5. It has helped to continue getting "dressed for work" to prepare for the day, and then to literally unplug the computer and move it to another room to mark the end of the work day.
I wonder what Day Three will bring …
One home-office colleague exhausted himself with incessant barking; the other one made a cameo appearance.
Home-office lunch of leftovers is prettier than office-office lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment