Sunday, January 1, 2017

New Starts

Another New Year, another fresh start.

New day planner, new journal. Newly minted list of resolutions and goals still bearing a resemblance to those of years past, but I imagine as long as I live and breathe I'll want to travel more, write more, and manage my money better. At least I hope that's the case, so it's okay.

It's not always fun to review the year just finished and the wreckage of shattered hopes, unattained goals, and unmet resolutions, but looking back on 2016 provided a certain level of satisfaction.

Two major life goals met with success in 2016 after camping out on the list for a couple years too long. Finding a better job and buying a house prompted a liberating advancement up Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

The best part about resolving the not so tiny life issues of liveable income, retirement savings, and shelter is that there is now space in the cranium and on this year's list for slightly more extravagant, yet still important goals like "use at least one entire week of my vacation time on a trip to someplace more than 100 miles from home" and "return to dance class."

It also means I can stop uttering boring phrases like "no, I can't commit to a trip out of town in three weeks because I may need to look at houses / be closing on my house / be moving." So far, the hours no longer spent scouring real estate listings and visiting houses have been replaced with the satisfying act of settling into my recently acquired house. I fully plan to shift some of that time, attention, and budget allocation to travel. It's on this year's list of goals.

I'm liking the looks of this new year a lot already.

No comments:

Post a Comment